Fayette County Public Schools is committed to building a community “Where Excellence and Creativity Merge.” The Community for Creativity encourages engagement inside the classroom and beyond.
Community for Creativity schools create an ecosystem which embraces a mindset which is student driven, exploration centered, flexible and collaborative. Each school uses research-based practices focused on the student transfer of knowledge to creatively solve problems. Program offerings and initiatives within Community for Creativity schools vary by location, and are unique to each campus. This allows school individualization built on the strengths and unique culture of their community, students, and faculty. Examples of school initiatives include:
- Passion projects in student's interest area with the guidance of faculty and industry mentors
- Arts Integration and/or STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) activities
- Installation of school collaboration/ performance spaces
- Exploration of creative careers through career modules and development of student e-portfolios
- Cross-departmental projects and immersive experiences involving guests from community organizations, higher education, and industry
Community for Creativity at Rising Starr Middle School, established Fall 2018 Unique Campus Offerings: Creative Industries focused on Technology & Engineering, Music & Recording, Art & Design, Film & Television
Community for Creativity at Flat Rock Middle School, established Fall 2019
Unique Campus Offerings: Sustainable Communities, using a STEAM framework to explore Alternative Gardening & Food Sourcing, Urban & Ecological Frameworks, Renewable Energy & Power Generation, Transportation & Mobility
Community for Creativity at Peeples Elementary School, established Fall 2020
Unique Campus Offerings: Foundational development of skills in storytelling, transformational uses of technology, engineering and design, communication and collaboration.